Service Bus also known as OSB is primarily used for routing purpose i.e. Service Bus act as proxy layer to our business logic layer.
In 11g version, Service Bus
• Was separate components from SOA Suite i.e. We use Install Service Bus and SOA Suite tool separately.
• Have Eclipse as IDE for service bus development.
• There was a single console to configure, manage and monitor the system, though it was shared by multiple roles.
In 12c Oracle made significant changes to Service Bus as mentioned below.
• Service Bus integrated to SOA Suite i.e. we need not install Service Bus separately, it comes integrated with SOA Suite.
• No more Eclipse IDE, in 12c we use JDeveloper only for Service Bus development.
• Separation done for console, for the Design Users, there is a new “Service Bus Design Console”. Here developer can create and configure most Service Bus resources, test the resources, and activate their changes to the run time. And for Monitoring, EM Fusion Middleware Control is used.
• We can leverage all the adapters in Service Bus which was not the case in earlier version. Earlier we use to create artifacts of DB adapter in Jdeveloper then use that artifacts on eclipse to generate proxy/business services, that is not the case now.
• Message flow has been separated from Proxy service, in 12c it is known as pipeline. Now we crate four types of services in 12c as mentioned below.
o Proxy service
o Business service
o Split Join
• There is also a concept of pipeline template that helps to re-use same functionality at multiple places.
• Resequencer has been introduced, earlier in 11g this feature was there in Mediator component of SOA Suite but same feature has been added to service bus also. This helps us to re-sequence the message received from source in case it is not in sequence and we need to process the messages in sequence only.
• MDS support has been provided, earlier this was major concern from developer as we need to keep all the artifacts local to our projects but in this version, we can leverage MDS features and that too for SOA Suite and Service Bus share artifacts using same MDS.